The 100 Layers of the Underground The 100 Layers of the Underground

Ah you used only default PxTone sounds for this? It sounds way better than what I could have done with the default sounds alone. :P

Generally, I like the music; it's simple, but there's some nice ideas going around here. The continuum is very pleasant, and I like the power from those toms. There seems to be a strange sounding note before the continuum repeats at 0:29; the note feels as though it should be moved up to the leading tone, fluctuating between a minor second rather than a major second. It seems as though that note is clashing with the chords as well.

That being said, I really like the minor shift that happens around 0:45. It really grabs my attention in a good way.

TangoStar responds:

Thanks! This song was really my first one in PxTone. I didn't knew this one would have a positive rate, mainly from you (I really appreciate your songs!).

From the time I made this until now I improved a lot in PxTone. Most of my pxtone songs are uploaded in my Soundcloud, if you wanna check it out.

Thank you again for the review!

Our Square Hero™ - Main Theme Our Square Hero™ - Main Theme

I love the intro; really driving bass works for the game it's used in. The development of the theme as well, although short, is also good. I kind of wish some of the voices were a little more balanced out; particularly towards the end of the loop, it starts to feel like some of the voices might clash a little in volume. Not a huge gripe, just something I sort of notice upon a few more listens. Very catchy overall.

CSGames97 responds:

Yeah, this is an older song of mine. It was actually one of the earliest songs I made using PXTone. I wasn't quite as good at mixing back then. Glad you enjoyed it, though! :)

February Rain February Rain

I'm a fan of the percussion, and the piano carries a very thoughtful tune. I love that "quiet" moment around 2:12; it makes the piano part very evocative. It varied just enough to keep me from thinking the music was too repetitive. Overall, it was a fine listen.

5TanLey responds:

thx for listening :)

Clouds 雲 Clouds 雲

Very chill indeed. What works for me here is that bassline and the Asian-esque wobbly instruments. The water sound effects also evoke the idea of rainclouds. I also like this continuum; it's a very interesting progression. I would have loved to hear the higher notes be brought out a bit more, maybe as the piece progresses. A change in the balance later on might help to make the music sound a tad less repetitive.

I also wish the percussion in this was a bit more...wet. Like that snare could have more of a lower pitch and a bit more of a lasting "crash". I dunno, like adding reverb or echo to the percussion? The other instruments overall could also use some reverb as well? Sorry, I'm not that familiar with mixing terms. :P

Overall, it's sonically pleasant to listen to. A couple adjustments to the percussion and general balancing would make this piece sound more expansive.

RoTbCoffee responds:

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to respond, and sorry for such a late response from me. ( I did read the post shortly after you made it however!)

I appreciate the feedback, and I agree that I could have taken more time in the post production process, adding some more reverb here and there, maybe even widening the sound with some clever panning.

AIM - Staring Down The Barrels AIM - Staring Down The Barrels

I love the repeating arps, the progression, the slow buildup. It really worked for me. I think the additions of different voices are fine enough such that it doesn't get boring after the first listen or so.

Shimmer (WIP) Shimmer (WIP)

There's some nice choice of instruments here. Everything blends quite well, yet still manages to be distinct from each other. The beat is good, though the kicks could be heavier in my opinion.

I think you're on the right track; the buildup is too gradual and too similar to the introduction such that it doesn't feel like a contrast, and causes it to lack the progression it needs to be more engaging. It also feels like some layers are missing that could be added with each repetition, like lighter, higher, faster moving parts maybe. The part around 1:08 onwards was quite good though; I like the bass here and those repeated notes really shine.

Gragon73 responds:

I'm making sure that everything is in a different frequency range. :P
I'll see what I can do about making the kicks heavier. I was thinking the same thing.

I don't really feel like the buildup is too gradual (it's only 8 measures, though it isn't very distinct yet) - more just nonexistent. I just need to add a bunch more stuff to the second half of this, build and climax alike.
Glad you like the bass and repeated notes. I was really happy with both of them myself. :P

Into The Rhythm Into The Rhythm

Those are some interesting sounds. This really only started getting more musical around the 2:05 mark. I love the way it builds up from thereon. The first bit felt more like a noise experimental or something (after the first 10 seconds). The other thing I quite enjoy are the kicks, because they're not particularly aggressive so they don't wear out on me when they constantly pound each beat.

I'll be honest - this is the type of music that doesn't particularly appeal to me, but I still think there are good parts to this - the buildup which I mentioned earlier. I guess, I feel like it needed to be more focused musically and less dependent on sound effects, which are cool, but felt like they weren't varied enough to be interesting.

MegaSphere responds:

I feel you really need to listen to more Hard Dance music before you can really get an idea of it.

Blight World Blight World

I can definitely hear the RPG in this - sounds more like a battle theme than anything else. I love that hammering bass and the delicateness of the instrument doing those arps. It seems to be mixed quite well - though it would be nicer to hear that melody brought out a little more. I also would have liked to hear a bit more variation when the theme basically reiterates itself for a second time.

BlueDragonMusic responds:

Thank you very much for the comment, as this is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I'm thinking of making more of these (in the same "gamey" style) so these details are important if I want to improve as I progress.

My goal is to go for a "simplicity in its complexity" kind of thing, so that it's not too annoying if used for a background music (a too noisy lead can totally kill the experience in a game) hence the attempt at a subtle melody and stronger bass.

I still have to work on mixing (I suck at it) and as you mentioned, more variations in my melodies. Hopefully I'll get the hang of it eventually. Thanks again for the feedback, I reaaaally appreciate it.

Bee Hippie Bee Hippie

I love the overall swing feel of the piece. It's nice to see music made in Caustic; I myself wanted to get more into using it but it doesn't work on my computer anymore. ;_;

This really comes across as more of an experimental work, with different glitchy sounds that are interesting, but don't have much variety to them. I particularly like the sounds around the 2:45 mark, where there is less noise. I'm not really a fan of the static sounds that seem to come from the bass, though some of the glitchy sounds are cool. It would have been great to hear a little more variety notation wise, at least by changing the chord progression.

Boundless Aether Boundless Aether

Very pretty! It loops so well too. I love when the synths kick in. Maybe they could benefit from a little more attack? That's just a minor thing, though. The arps are just lovely also.