BackDoor- Door 2 BackDoor- Door 2

Great work; loved the humour and atmosphere. Puzzles were overall well done and intuitive. I was very intrigued by the story and this one had a nice arc that made it feel complete but also wanting to know more about the game to come next. The factory and town tracks are fantastic.

And now, to find the Easter eggs...

snek REDUX snek REDUX

Pretty fun. The techno music goes well with the flashy colour pixel art. I'm in love with the chunky pixels. Gameplaywise, it is fast paced, really gets you thinking. I like how you can adjust the speed of the snake; it makes for a crazy challenge up in the higher difficulties. The gimmick is interesting too - shrinking rapidly instead of hitting a wall decreases your "nom" score, but still gives you an opportunity to react, along with the slow motion. All around good stuff!

If there's anything to complain about, I didn't particularly enjoy playing this on a gamepad. Using only joystick controls, I dunno, makes it harder to play in a less intuitive way. I'd prefer the D-pad buttons, but maybe others don't play it like that? Could just be me.

Lastly, the halt noise and humour in this game are well placed. And amusing. This was very enjoyable and cute. The bosses had me surprised, too.

squidly responds:

Oh shit, did I forget D-Pad controls? I just updated - should work now.

Traveler Traveler

Hmm, the music doesn't play when it starts at the titlescreen. Too bad, because it is quite nice. As the other reviewer said, though, it does loop too abruptly, but it still sounds great for the game.

Perhaps a better explanation of game mechanics are needed - even after reading the description, I didn't quite understand how to play.

The gliding mechanics weren't working so well for me in level 3, where I couldn't glide if I hit a wall. Not sure if that was intentional, though...

Changing backgrounds so suddenly was a little hard on the eyes, especially when the character stays on the gate - the backgrounds change back and forth constantly. It should be made so that the worlds change only once when the character goes over the gates. Perhaps using embellishments instead of a complete colour change or using colours that are similar to each other would work better?

I couldn't quite understand why connecting the dots was necessary, and why the black dots are basically unknown gates. It wasn't explained clear enough for me in the Author Comments, nor in the level design.

I felt like also the transitions between returning to the titlescreen after death were too abrupt as well. That aside, the idea is neat, the graphics aside from the backgrounds are fitting, and I do enjoy the music. It just seemed too fast moving and confusing to pick up and get into. It's a shame; your game concepts are pretty cool.

Agecaf responds:

Thank you very much for the feedback! This game was made in 48 hours for a contest, so it still needs lots of polish and a proper tutorial, so I was thinking of making a version of it more polished. These comments help me know what to focus on.

The 100 Layers of the Underground The 100 Layers of the Underground

Ah you used only default PxTone sounds for this? It sounds way better than what I could have done with the default sounds alone. :P

Generally, I like the music; it's simple, but there's some nice ideas going around here. The continuum is very pleasant, and I like the power from those toms. There seems to be a strange sounding note before the continuum repeats at 0:29; the note feels as though it should be moved up to the leading tone, fluctuating between a minor second rather than a major second. It seems as though that note is clashing with the chords as well.

That being said, I really like the minor shift that happens around 0:45. It really grabs my attention in a good way.

TangoStar responds:

Thanks! This song was really my first one in PxTone. I didn't knew this one would have a positive rate, mainly from you (I really appreciate your songs!).

From the time I made this until now I improved a lot in PxTone. Most of my pxtone songs are uploaded in my Soundcloud, if you wanna check it out.

Thank you again for the review!

Our Square Hero™ - Main Theme Our Square Hero™ - Main Theme

I love the intro; really driving bass works for the game it's used in. The development of the theme as well, although short, is also good. I kind of wish some of the voices were a little more balanced out; particularly towards the end of the loop, it starts to feel like some of the voices might clash a little in volume. Not a huge gripe, just something I sort of notice upon a few more listens. Very catchy overall.

CSGames97 responds:

Yeah, this is an older song of mine. It was actually one of the earliest songs I made using PXTone. I wasn't quite as good at mixing back then. Glad you enjoyed it, though! :)

February Rain February Rain

I'm a fan of the percussion, and the piano carries a very thoughtful tune. I love that "quiet" moment around 2:12; it makes the piano part very evocative. It varied just enough to keep me from thinking the music was too repetitive. Overall, it was a fine listen.

5TanLey responds: